As this Dhokla is full of pulses, it is a protein-rich breakfast option for one and all in the family.
Category: Breakfast, Snacks, Tiffin
Preparation time: 15 hours
Cooking time: 25 mins
Good for age 2+
- 1 1/2 cup organic mixed dal (equal quantity of masoor dal, green moong split, moong dal (yellow), toor dal, urad dal, chana dal).
- 1 or 2 green chillies (optional)
- 4 or 5 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger piece
- Salt (as per taste)
- 1 tsp (teaspoon) sugar
- 1/2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1-2 green chillies (optional)
- Wash and soak all the dal for 4-5 hours.
- Drain off the excess water and grind into a paste. Add green chillies, ginger and garlic while blending.
- Let the batter be kept in a warm place to ferment overnight.
- Once fermented, you can add sugar and salt as per taste.
- Steam the dhokla mix in idli stand for 15-20 minutes. Or you can do that in a pressure cooker without placing whistle weight. Grease the flat bottom vessel with 1/2 tsp of vegetable oil. Pour the batter into it. In the cooker pour 1 cup of water, place the stand and place the vessel on the stand. Cover with the lid of pressure cooker and steam on medium heat. (it might take 20-25 minutes in that case).
- Do a toothpick test to check if it’s done or not.
- Once done let it cool.
- Meanwhile prepare the tempering by heating 1 tsp of vegetable oil and adding mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chillies. (You can even add grated vegetables like capsicum, carrot etc to give more colours and flavours)
- Pour the tempering on top of the Dhokla.
- Serve with mango chutney or coriander mint chutney.
Hope you and your kiddos like this easy-peasy dish. Serve me with your comments if you enjoyed it or not…